Journalism from the 18th Century to Now (Sounds Ambitious but I Promise it is not), technically blog post 7

The question in the prompt for this weeks blog post reads: "Have you noticed a difference in your writing voice when you write for the public vs writing for an assignment dropbox?"

My answer is "no", only because I write a dropbox assignment with the idea that my work could potentially be shared with a larger audience than I anticipate (although I doubt any piece of mine has been that good).

The next question was about the advancement of the news since the 18th century.
The very little "journalism" I do follow today is very simple, which to me is something that older journalism would avoid. My generation has b.s. sites like Buzzfeed or VICE. I hate VICE because their articles are always these trendy/hipster/nonsense like: "I Sat Beside a Vietnamese-North Korean Warlord and Showed Him How to Enjoy the Films of Quentin Tarantino". Of course VICE is not representative of all 21st century news sources, but the trendy stuff aimed at my generation is garbage disguised as insight. A lot of reliable news sources (like "The Daily Show" of which I am not a fan, but hear many things about)  are able to poke fun at current events while also addressing many concerns. Comedy has always been utilized when it comes to attacking the lack of common sense in an opponent's argument so it is nice to see that this is a characteristic that is still prevalent. Now, "public writing" is an interesting concept to look at. I think social media has given a voice to people that may not have been able to get their voices out there into the world. Social media forces us to look at each other and see what we share and like on Facebook, or a blog like Tumblr, or what we choose to Tweet @ (that symbol was used intentionally, by the way) someone. However, I would argue that public writing has less substance and meaning. A tweet like "LOL @Donald Trump" serves no higher purpose than expressing your opinion on a topic. There is a lot of useless information going into circulation this way.

There are still professional news sources, such as The New York Times (one I skim here and there). Their writing is not as self-serving as CNN or Fox, and has less of the not subtle humor my generation seems to be fond of.

Picture: https://img.memecdn.com/not-to-mention-jon-stewart-is-funny-clever-and-actually-criticises-capitalism_o_2808637.jpg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Locke's Influence on Modern Thinking (WEEK 4)

My Final Restoration Blog Post: Did the Enlightenment Work?

THE ENLIGHTENMENT, SON (Week 1)