The Anonymous Lady... or Amorous Lady? (Week 7-8) edited: blog post 6

I picked this image by comic book artist David Mack for the Anonymous Lady. It is not her or even an attempt on Mack's behalf to recreate her, I just find the image fitting.  An image of Martha Fowke was unavailable in my initial attempts to find one.
Image result for david mack jessica jones
After reading "On Being Charged with Writing Incorrectly" and discussing it in class, I thoroughly enjoyed her attack on the standards of writing. She calls out Busby and his "Slaves", the students he taught the correct form of writing to. Her work is being criticised by the "mighty dull, these mighty wise" and I like her play on words here, too. The "Wise" because of their knowledge obtained from Busby but dull because their own creative voices have been silenced due to being deemed incorrect. She does not have a concern with her work being critiqued because it is her work, not theirs. "Any punishment sustain, to 'scape the labour of my brain" is a brilliant line, as well. 

After reading the D2L poems, I still think this poem is my favorite. I did enjoy "To The Same" (I believe this is the title, on D2L) and her phrasing in lines such as "My tender Master who has taught me more, In one short Year, than Ages did before" is refreshing. I do not read poetry in my free time, only recently having read TS Eliot's "The Waste Land" for Dr. Paproth's British Literature course this semester. The Anonymous Lady's works are very straight forward and easy to understand and enjoy. I do not feel as though I have to grasp too far. However, in comparison to Eliot, The Anonymous Lady dropped several nods to things like Apollo, Parnassus, and the works of Dennis. One link I followed when reading on her suggests that her work was not written with the intent of being published. Therefore, a remark on Busby would only need to be understood by her, whereas Eliot makes nods to several works that show how dated his work is to a modern audience. 
Regardless, I enjoyed the poetry in this unit and how blunt it was.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Locke's Influence on Modern Thinking (WEEK 4)

My Final Restoration Blog Post: Did the Enlightenment Work?

THE ENLIGHTENMENT, SON (Week 1)